I love good food and Atlanta has lots of it. Instead of just running through my fave restaurants, I've taken it a step further and listed some of my favorite dishes (so far) all over town. I excluded burgers and pizza (mmm...burgers and pizza) because you can find tons of lists online for those already. I also haven't ventured OTP ("outside the perimeter" for you Northerners) or down Buford Highway (authentic international cuisine) yet, so this is primarily an "in town" list. P.S. You people who owe me a visit (you know who you are) can use this as a little extra motivation.
1. Sea Urchin Tagliatelle at Lusca in Buckhead I knew when I ordered this it would be rich, but I wasn't expecting how fantastic the flavor would be too. I could eat this as my death row meal.
2. Black Spaghetti at Bocca Lupo in Inman Park This is in the running for my favorite dish in ATL. Spicy sausage and shrimp with squid ink spaghetti. I wanna roll around in it.
3. Huevo con Trufa at The Iberian Pig in Decatur Locale of my 2012 bday party. Everything rocks at this place. Don't worry about what it is; just try it.
4. Fried Fish Tacos and Smoked Chicken Tacos at The Original El Taco in VA Highlands There are a ton of taco joints in Atlanta (and no, I haven't tried all of them) but these are especially yummy. You also may get to see a cute fireman's bum (a la Valentine's Day, 2014).
5. No. 246 Meatball at No. 246 in Decatur Who knew a meatball could make people so happy? Even Dad Rick thinks so.
6. Crispy Brussell Sprouts with House Bacon Aioli at Atkins Park in VA Highlands Delish way to serve Brussell Sprouts. I am going to attempt to recreate this one and will post the recipe online when it's perfected.
7. Chile Seared Diver Sea Scallops with Serrano Grits at Agave in Cabbagetown I don't usually order scallops at a Southwestern place, but this was a nice surprise. If you want something a little lighter than tacos or beef, give this a try.
8. The Mixed Grill at King + Duke in Buckhead It's literally a big wooden board covered with meat, seafood and a few veggies. If you have 4 or more people, totally try it. You'll eat like a king.
9. Penne a la Vodka at Il Bacio in Buckhead This is a shout out for my friend Mary's favorite dish. And a shout out to a great small business owner.
10. Fried Goat Cheese with Black Pepper and Honey at Ecco in Midtown Ecco is another of my favorite places in Atlanta and this treat is always the first thing we order. Ecco is great for celebrity sightings too.
11. Mushroom Risotto at Sotto Sotto in Inman Park I love risotto just about anywhere, but this one (among everything else at Sotto Sotto) is especially fabu. If you're into chocolate, you'd also be interested to know they have Chocolate Soup for dessert.
12. Turkey Burger Melt at Cafe 640 in Poncey Highlands I literally get this every time I eat at 640, which is a lot. Great neighborhood joint. I don't know what they put in their turkey burger mix but it's like crack.
13. Salmon Chips at Two Urban Licks in Poncey Highlands Two Urban Licks is well known for their salmon chips. They are outrageously delicious. I think about them often. I hear they have one prep cook who mans the salmon chip station all night. (Like a boss.)
14. "Meat & Potatoes" at JCT Kitchen in West Midtown JCT is well known for its fried chicken, but try this too. Always, always get the truffle fries for the table too, no matter what you order.
16. Braised Beef Short Rib Eggs Benedict at Serpas in Old Fourth Ward I'm officially a glutton.
17. Pimiento Cheese Deviled Eggs at Wisteria in Inman Park Interestingly, these didn't make Eater Atlanta's recent list. But I think these are the deviled eggs that made me like deviled eggs. And pimiento cheese. Pimiento cheese makes everything better.
18. The ATLsandwich at The Albert in Inman Park Did you know the Albert has one of the most creative bar menus around? "The ATL" is a great example. Smoked short ribs (smoked right out back) with pimiento cheese and red onion on toasted ciabatta. Soooo freakin' good.
19. Steak Oscar with Caesar Salad and a Dirty Vodka Martini at Highland Tap in VA Highlands This is where I take Dad Rick when he's in town. Old school, baby. (Did I mention the blue cheese stuffed olives?)
20. Lobster Bisque at Steamhouse Lounge in Midtown I've had their bisque a bunch of times, but usually 3/4 of the way through an Oysterfest (i.e. my judgment may be impaired). There's real chunks of lobster in there...I think.
21. Mediterranean PEI Mussels at Dantannas in Buckhead This is a random one because I haven't been here in a long time, but I love these mussels. This is another recipe I'll try to re-create.
22. Tortelli di mele at Pasta di Pulcinella in Midtown Another one of my friend Mary's fave dishes. I finally tried it and OMG it's heavenly. Try it!
23. Gratin of Marrow at Holeman & Finch in South Buckhead Love everything about this place, but especially the chance to have bone marrow.
24. Creamy Grits at Two Urban Licks (brunch menu) in Poncey Highlands Another dish in the running for my death row meal. Creamy smoked gouda grits topped with a poached egg, double smoked bacon, wild mushrooms and black truffle. So comforting and rich and delish!
25. Nashville Hot Chicken Biscuits at Ladybird Grove and Mess Hall in Old Fourth Ward Best hangover food ever.
and for dessert...
26. Sweet Potato Beignets at Folk Art in Inman Park I am not a dessert person, but I'll make an exception for these. They are drizzled with some kind of saucy syrupy glaze. Nom nom nom.
What are your favorite meals in Atlanta? Let me know!